Dr. Kathleen Hands, M.D.
Kathleen Hands, M.D., is board certified in both internal medicine and Endocrinology with subspecialty training in thyroid disorders. Dr. Hands is the first Ultrasound Certified endocrinologist from AIUM and trains other endocrinologists in thyroid ultrasound guided biopsy techniques.
Recognized nationally for her expertise in lymph node assessment in patients with thyroid nodules to determine risks for cancer, she is one of few physicians who perform molecular studies on thyroid nodule biopsies, increasing accuracy in assessing cancer risks and avoiding unnecessary surgery.
Dr. Hands has received “Compassionate Doctor Award” from independent patient review groups. In addition, evaluation of thyroid nodules, cysts, parathyroid tumors and thyroid goiters is performed same day as consult in office.
Thyroid ultrasound, ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration (biopsy) of thyroid nodules, percutaneous ethanol injections (PEI) to dissolve cysts, cytopathology review and lab studies are provided on site.
When indicated, radioactive iodine treatments are provided by expert nuclear medicine specialist under strict dosing supervision of Dr. Hands to comply with current standards and safety and American Thyroid Association guidelines.
Aurora Brest Center Feature Video
- Fellowship: UTHSC, San Antonio
- Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine
- Diplomat of the American Board of Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Asst. Professor, Univ. of Texas Health Science Center SA, Dept. of Medicine
- Thyroid nodules & Thyroid cancer
- Parathyroid disease
- Pregnancy-related thyroid disease
- Autoimmune thyroid diseases
- Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism